What we mean by a safe space
- This workshop is designed to explore memory, emotion, and body as writer's tools generally and as ways to explore difficult subject matter specifically. That is, the subject matter that gets embedded in our memories, continues to bring up emotional reactions, and feels lodged in our bodies.
- Expect to read excerpts from writing, memoir or fiction, that has to do with difficult, possibly triggering, subject matter. If we want to work with our own difficult experiences or create those experiences for our characters, it is useful to see them handled by other authors. We will discuss readings in class and students may spiral back to topics, so opting out of a reading is not a practical option. I cannot guarantee participants will avoid a specific trigger, nor can I foresee or control what is brought to workshop or discussions.
- This workshop is intended to be a safe space. By that I mean two things:
- First, nobody's experience will be judged or compared to another's.
- Second, everyone here is expected to honor each other as writers and human beings. Things shared in this workshop must not leave this course. Your presence in this course implies your agreement with a policy of respect and privacy for all writers and all writings shared within this workshop.
- Please talk to me before registering if you have specific concerns.